Playing music in your store can hit the right note with customers, but make sure you have the correct licence to do so, says the UK’s music licensing organisation.

For many businesses, music can be considered an important part of their service offering, used to help deliver a stand out retail experience. The right choice of music has the potential to improve the atmosphere, lift the mood and help draw customers in store.

With music often playing a key role in creating the perfect atmosphere, it’s important for you as a business owner to obtain TheMusicLicence from PPL PRS Ltd, the joint ventured formed by PPL and PRS for Music, before you hit that play button.

If you play recorded music in your store, in most instances you need to obtain permission to do so from the copyright holder(s), and will usually need TheMusicLicence. This includes playing music from the radio, TV, CDs, background music systems or other sources.

Buying a CD or music download only allows you to use it for domestic purposes, such as listening to it at home for private enjoyment. If a business such as shop plays background music, whether it’s via CD, download, radio or TV, then a PPL licence is usually needed. This licence covers millions of different recordings from around the world and negates the need for you to obtain individual permission from all the different copyright holders and performers involved.

When you buy TheMusicLicence you are not only helping to add value to your business, you are also helping to ensure the people who make the music you play are fairly rewarded for their work.  Aside from their running costs, the money collected by PPL PRS is returned to the writers and performers through royalties paid by PPL and PRS for Music.

The cost of TheMusicLicence depends on several factors, such as business type, size and how recorded music is used in your shop. It also depends on the size of the area in which recorded music is audible. For example, if you play music to customers on a shop floor (100 sqm or less), your combined yearly music licence for a retail shop could cost around £307 (excluding VAT).

If your shop has an audible area of 50 square metres or less and only uses traditional radio or television (i.e. non-digital radio and TV broadcasts), you may be eligible for a concessionary discount.

PPL PRS have specialist teams who can offer your business a bespoke quotation for TheMusicLicence.

Not currently playing music in your store?

Watch some case studies of how music is used in the retail industry.

You can hear from other business owners about the value they believe music brings to their brand and customer experience. Hear how Accent Clothing store in Leeds use music to encourage shoppers off their sofas and into the city centre to shop instore rather than online.

Who is PPL PRS Ltd?

PPL PRS Ltd is a new joint venture between the UK’s two music licensing organisations —PPL and PRS for Music.

We’ve joined forces to streamline part of what we do, making it easier for our customers to obtain a music licence.

Our aim is to provide the best music licensing experience in the world by keeping things simple for our customers. We’re here to ensure writers and performers are fairly rewarded for their talent, but also to support those who use music on a daily basis.

Who are PPL and PRS for Music?

PPL represents performers and record companies. PRS for Music is a society of songwriters, composers and music publishers. Both organisations ensure that the creators and performers of music are paid when their music is used in public.

The two parent companies will continue to carry out everything else they do separately, other than public performance licensing. This includes representing their members, collecting monies owed to them from international societies, independently consulting on and negotiating on their Tariff rates and licensing their broadcast, online and recorded media customers.

It is now easier and more straightforward than ever to purchase TheMusicLicence.  Simply see our website,, for more details and how to buy your music licence.


Related content