Boost your magazine sales with NFRN Newspro
NFRN Newspro is a magazine category management solution that is designed to enable every member to boost their magazine sales. Newspro works in tandem with Store2Door, the Federation’s Home News Delivery advice service, to ensure that a complete category offer is made to consumers in respect of purchases both in and out of store.
Promotional Updates - February 2019
Find out what’s hot on the magazine shelves this month, as well as the latest promotions that will help increase your sales, by downloading the latest NFRN Newspro promotional update.
How Newspro works
Newspro closely emulates how a RMG (Retail Multiple Group) operates its news category. This is done by providing each store with a core range of bestselling titles. This defined range of titles is locked into the wholesaler system and through SMC (Store Manager’s Choice) you have the facility to add any discretionary titles that you may require.
You simply confirm which titles and quantities are required to your wholesaler, and the Newspro team will provide you with the complete package for your store. As space is limited and to maximise sales potential, low volume sale titles that sit outside the core range should be moved to customer saves. This enables you to provide both core best selling in addition to meeting customer save requirements.
The key benefits to your news category are:
- The service is FREE of charge
- You will receive no unauthorised amendments to your range from wholesale
- Reduction in time spent on the category
- Improvement in cash flow – on average £500!
- Improvement in display and the customer experience
- Monthly email newsletter informing you of the latest product promotions and guidance
- Access to publisher-led promotional activity usually only available for multiple retailers
- Stores outperform the independent channel by 7%*
- Availability is 1% better than other Independents*
- Sales of TV listings by RSV have grown 8% better than the rest of the Independent sector as a whole*
- Early returns are lower than the independent sector as a whole*
- Deliveries on average are earlier than the independent sector as a whole*
*Source: Smiths News
What’s the science behind the ranging process?
Of course every store is unique but across all stores there is a core range of titles that consistently sell well. This, plus other factors listed below, have been used by Newspro to decide on your core range of mandatory titles.
The factors considered when selecting your core range of mandatory titles:
- 75% of total magazine sales come from the top 200 titles
- Core Ranges are created using national rankings information, with sales trends overlaid to ensure the key selling titles are captured
- Core Ranges have been built around your specific fixture size and the number of titles that can be displayed
- Consideration is given to the number of titles per metre allowing you to give the maximum number of titles full face – maximising your sales opportunity
- Store Manager’s Choice* (SMC) provides the flexibility to add titles or increase the number of titles on a discretionary basis to fulfil demand. These are in addition to your core range and need to be notified to both the wholesaler and Newspro under the SMC facility. You can add or remove SMC titles at anytime via your wholesaler
As a Newspro member we will communicate to you regularly providing details of sales opportunities that may benefit your business, plus hints, tips and best practice for your news category.
The latest promotional update can be found at the top of this page.
Promotion Best Practice
Over the course of any year you may be asked to participate in centrally agreed promotions. In order to gain maximum benefit you are required to:
- Comply with the criteria for the promotion. These may include providing photographs of promotion, or feedback either directly or through satisfaction surveys
- Not early return promoted product
Below is an example of possible opportunities up until the end of the year. Please note that this is provided for illustration purposes and will be updated throughout the year and updates sent each week.
2018 Key Events & Seasonal Trends
|Month||Key Events||Seasonal||Suggested Titles/ Key Categories|
|June||Football World Cup||Kids – Summer Holidays||FourFourTwo, Match of The Day, Children’s Magazines, Puzzle Magazines|
|July||Football World Cup||Kids – Summer Holidays||FourFourTwo, Match of The Day, Children’s Magazines, Puzzle Magazines|
|August||Premier League / Ryder Cup||Kids – Back to School||Exclusive kids promotion with selected newspaper|
|September||Premier League / Ryder Cup||Match Attax Launches||Today’s Golfer, Match Attax, Children’s Magazines|
|October||Premier League||Match Attax||Children’s Magazines|
|November||Autumn International Rugby||Kids – Half Term, Christmas One Shots||Christmas Magazines, Good Housekeeping Christmas, Good Food Christmas Special, Radio Times, What’s On TV, Inside Soap|
|December||Christmas||Christmas TV Listings||Christmas Magazines, Good Housekeeping Christmas, Good Food Christmas Special, Radio Times, What’s On TV, Inside Soap|
How do I join NFRN Newspro?
To join NFRN Newspro, simply complete the online form by clicking the button below. A member of our team will then get in touch with you.
NFRN Connect is available 7 days a week to provide support and advice on:
- Wholesaler issues
- Newspro range or promotional queries
- Adjusting your range should you wish to change your selling space
The Newspro Toolkit
Whilst Newspro is designed to increase the efficiency of the news category. there are some areas you can also look at in store to minimise losses and maximise sales.
The NFRN Newspro Toolkit is designed to aid you in this, and is at the heart of our Retail Standards Best Advice Guidance and training sessions.
Related Member Benefits
NFRN Fuelwise is another money saving addition to the NFRN’s portfolio of benefits and services.
NFRN members’ own credit union with account and borrowing facilities.
Drop shipment service NFRN Direct provides an easy to use, competitive buying solution for independent retailers.
Through our library of factsheets and training guides, NFRN Retail Standards can help members get the skills to reach higher retailer excellence.