About the NFRN: The Federation of Independent Retailers
The NFRN was founded in 1919 and is one of Europe’s largest employers’ associations with over 15,000 independent retail businesses in membership throughout the UK and Ireland.
Even though our roots go back to 1893, the first recorded national meeting was in Leicester, in 1919.
We exist to help the independent retailer compete more effectively in today’s highly competitive market by providing practical help and assistance, commercial support, deals and buying opportunities, training, expertise and services.
The NFRN also actively represents its members’ interests at governmental and parliamentary level, and we are the official government referral body for the sector and are a powerful voice for the independent retailer.
Membership of the NFRN consists of a variety of independent retailers, including: newsagents, convenience stores, confectioners, florists, petrol forecourts, news deliverers, off-licences, post offices, coffee shops, and card & stationery shops.
“Where’er one man can help another, thank God for such a birthright, brother.”
J. Russell Lowell
- To be the voice of the independent retailer and to be recognised by the industry and government as a key and influential retail membership organisation.
- To provide commercial support by operating as a collective trading group, delivering positive benefits to members, thus enabling them to run financially successful businesses.
- To ensure the organisation operates efficiently while providing a structure that is relevant to the needs of members in a challenging and ever-changing marketplace.
- Provide value to members through relevant advice, support benefits and legal assistance.
- Provide leadership through effective involvement and communication with members.
- Provide pastoral care to members.
- Maximise the external profile of the Federation to the benefit of the organisation and its members.
- Represent member interests and promote positive legislation and trading conditions.
- Assist, practically support and encourage members in running financial successful business.
- Provide training and development to both members and staff to meet the changing needs of the market place.
- Maintain a structure relevant to the needs of members in a changing marketplace.
- Maintain a sound financial base to meet Federation objectives.
- Grow and develop Federation Membership.
NFRN Officials 2019/20
National Vice President
National Deputy Vice President
Immediate Past President
Meet our Senior Management Team
Chief Operating Officer
Having joined the NFRN in September 2019, Greg has a wealth of experience in the news and retail industry, firstly when working for the Daily Telegraph and for News UK and more latterly at Camelot where he headed up the field sales force.
As the Federation’s Chief Operating Officer, Greg is well equipped to represent the interests of independent retailers, and lead the development of the NFRN’s future strategy, as well as managing member services and business development opportunities.
Head of Political Engagement
After a career in investment banking in the City of London and heading up a successful election campaign at the 2010 general election, Adrian worked in Westminster for two of the 2010 intake of MPs. From there he moved to run a Police and Crime Commissioner campaign.
Adrian joined the NFRN in December 2012 and is focused on campaigning on issues that impact the 15,000 NFRN members across the UK and Ireland. Adrian has an MA in International Relations from the University of Kent.
Head of Field Operations & News
With significant news and field based experience gained from working in multiple retail groups and in wholesaling, Brian joined the NFRN in 2005. He is responsible for overseeing the NFRN’s Field & News Operations and is also tasked with identifying business opportunities for members to earn extra profit on the news category, largely through the NFRN’s Newspro and Store2Door bespoke membership programmes.
Head of Facilities & Special Projects
Having joined the NFRN in 1985, Stephen has held a number of positions within the organisation and developed a wealth of experience through working closely with national committees and senior management alike.
As Head of Facilities & Special Projects, Stephen works closely with all facets of the business to provide the tools and infrastructure to allow the organisation to service its members in the most efficient and cost effective manner.
Head of Communications
Having championed the cause of independent retailers for more than 11 years as editor of the former retail trade magazine CTN, Anne spent seven years working as the Communications Manager for the Association of Newspaper and Magazine Wholesalers and a year as a PR manager for Durex before joining the NFRN in 2007.
As Head of Communications, Anne is focused on providing internal and external communications, along with managing the Fed magazine, the nfrnonline website, and all social media and PR for the Federation.
Head of Technology
After providing technical consultancy and systems engineering services to the NFRN since 2012, in July 2019 the organisation invited Nat to join the senior management team as Head of Technology. Nat is responsible for the innovation, development, maintenance and security of the Federation’s technical infrastructure.
Nat has over 24 years of technical engineering, process and project management experience, gained whilst working in the telecom, venture capital, finance, construction, healthcare, legal, internet infrastructure, technical solutions and digital entertainment sectors.
Members benefit from a variety of business services, resources and support, including:
Insurance provider to a wide range of businesses, who understand business needs of the independent retailer.
Advice and support for your store
Tailor-made business templates and downloadable resources
Free member magazine keeping you up to date on all industry and business developments.
NFRN Assist can offer confidential support, direction and solutions to financial worries.